Tuesday, March 12, 2019

I was bamboozled!

The camper I recently bought has a soft spot on the floor.  It wasn't until a couple of weeks after I got it home I discovered that the floor has rotted in that corner of the camper.  I felt ashamed of myself for not finding this problem before I bought the camper.  I did my due diligence.  I took my time to look it over and ask questions about the camper.  Everything about the camper looked fine.  No stains or strange odors.

When I bought this camper the previous owner had the two convertible sofas (sofa/beds) set up as sofas.  One of which covered the area of rotten floor.  So I never stepped on or got a good look at that part of the floor.  Which looked fine until any pressure is put on it.  Then you can see it move.  I feel like the previous owner may have hid that part of the trailer from me.

I blame myself.

The soft spot on the floor drove me crazy so I have already torn that part out of the camper.  This way is can start to dry up before moving on.  The floor itself is made from particle board, which is terrible if it's ever exposed to water or moisture.  It soaks up water like a sponge and never recovers.  The only thing you can do is cut it out and replace it.

Now to decide how to move forward.  Do I just patch the damaged area or do I cut out as much of the original flooring and replace with plywood.  If I patch, then I will finish the floor off with some peel and stick tile.  If I replace with plywood, I would want to stain the wood with a colorful stain and top it off with polyurethane for water protection.  The former gets the job done cheaper and quicker while the later is more expensive and will take more time, but should outlast the camper.


2 comments:

  1. We used to have a camper and they are all notorious when it comes to leaking. The individual you bought it from appears to have covered up a problem that you would have figured out had that couch not been there. I remember pressing in every corner with my fingers and feet when we purchased ours. As for how to fix the problem, have you ever seen the plywood where someone has taken a blow torch and burned the plywood? It picks up the natural grains and it is beautiful. Then you polyurethane it. I'm sure whichever decision you go with it will be awesome! I would worry over time the peel and stick would come unstuck...but then again, I'm a worrier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a bummer. I hate when things go wrong, and we feel like it could have been avoided. I hope and pray you can fix it up the way you want to without too much trouble.

    ReplyDelete